(reprinted with permission from Ellis Hollow by Jeanette Knapp & Jill Welch, 1977)
In 1952 five families met to discuss using the empty little red school house at the corner of Ellis Hollow and Turkey Hill Roads as a Community Center. Fifty families donated $92.50 to renovate the old school and the first of many, many work bees was planned.
That first Community Center building has since been painted brown and converted to the Foundation of Light, but the Community Center itself, now located on Genung Road(Fig.7), continues to grow. There are now more than 600 member families (1999).
This website hopes to provide some background information about Ellis Hollow and its Community Center for new-comers and revive some pleasant memories for old-timers as together we begin Ellis Hollow's next chapter.
This is not the first history of Ellis Hollow. In 1956, Katrina Morse wrote a short history of the Community Center. Zelle Middaugh Pritchard wrote a longer book in 1962 entitled Ellis Hollow Lore, in which she recorded many of her own memories of Ellis Hollow's past. Historic Ithaca printed a booklet entitled Ellis Hollow and Environs to accompany its tour of homes in Ellis Hollow in 1974. We relied heavily on these sources, plus an unpublished paper by Paul Gates, the minutes of the Community Center boards meetings, the past issues of the Gazette and the memories of many long-time residents.